Today we’re going head-on into the topic of how the build lean muscle – SuperSets vs. Traditional workouts.
There’s a lot people get wrong about building muscle. Many think they have to go all out and women are afraid they’ll get “too bulky.” We’ll go over these myths and more so that you have a full understanding of how you can get and stay strong for life.
How To Build Muscle Mass
Specifically, we’ll go over:
- How to put on muscle mass or weight if you’re an ectomorph and/or vegetarian/vegan (a question from our Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook)
- SuperSets: How to properly do them.
- Traditional Lifting vs. SuperSets
- Workout Splits – How to plan your weekly lifting workouts.
- Steps to properly recover and what to do if you regress.
- Various workout terminology you should know.
- General full workout examples including warmup, lifts, and supersets to finish.
- How to achieve hypertrophy to make the most out of your sets.
- Proper range of motion while lifting.
- How to figure out what your 1-rep max is.
You’ll also find out how to incorporate these types of exercises into your weekly plan:
- Time Under Tension
- Drop Sets
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob
2:00 About today’s episode on how to work out if you want to build lean muscle
2:30 Check out last week’s show: OSF 213 – Sugar Addiction: How To Overcome It with Sherry Strong
3:00 Question from our Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook: How can I gain weight or muscle mass? As a vegetarian or regarding my diet?
12:00 Workouts: How to gain muscle mass when you exercise – SuperSets vs. Traditional
13:40 Examples of traditional lifting sets.
15:30 Differences between supersets vs. traditional lifting sets.
16:50 Paired sets and compound sets in a SuperSet.
17:20 How to succeed with a superset.
19:00 SuperSet options and various workouts.
21:20 Side effects of SuperSets
22:00 Why you should do SuperSets are the end of your workout and how to recover.
23:00 Whether or not SuperSets actually do help us burn more calories at once.
30:30 General workout example for you to follow with a warmup, lifts, and superset to finish.
33:30 Tabata workouts – what it is and how they’re beneficial.
38:30 How to achieve hypertrophy to make the most out of your sets.
41:10 Rest periods: How long to do them for and what to expect.
44:10 Tempo – Time Under Tension during a workout plus average tempo.
45:50 Proper range of motion while lifting.
48:40 Cardio – How much is actually necessary when you want to focus on building muscle.
50:40 How to figure out what your 1-Rep max is and why you should do them on free weights and never machines.
57:30 Drop sets – what they are and how to incorporate them into your training. Plus, how often you should be doing them.
1:01:40 Workout splits – How to plan and build your week’s workout.
1:06:00 Final comments with Rob
1:08:30 Get lean and fit by revamping your nutrition with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
1:10:10 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Sign up for our Sky Fit Challenge!
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out last week’s episode: OSF 213 – Sugar Addiction: How To Overcome It with Sherry Strong
- You might also be interested in these other Open Sky Fitness Podcast episodes:
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
Our 8 Week Sky Fit Challenge has begun but you can still sign up for the next round or learn more about it!
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at email@example.com or Devon at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can also leave us a review at www.openskyfitness.com/review, ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link.
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: email@example.com
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 214: Building Lean Muscle_ SuperSets vs. Traditional Workouts! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.