“A lot of the claims for detoxification are not backed by science. In fact, a lot of these supplement companies that market and sell these packaged cleanses have zero science to back up want they claim to provide or they pick and choose particular items and combine it all in a single cleanse.” – Rob and Devon Dionne
Detoxes and cleanses are popular but are they really worth it? Their ads and descriptions claim to be miracle workers but are they actually beneficial? What are some better ways to get healthy that doesn’t involve a detox or a cleanse? What about when it comes to environmental detoxes?
You’ve probably heard of the following detoxes and cleanses:
- Master Cleanse
- 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse
- Juice Cleanse
- Raw Foods Cleanse
- BluePrint Cleanse
- Martha Vineyard’s 21-Day Detox
Today, we’ll go over these cleanses, some in closer detail, in order to help you learn more about them before making your own mind up about them:
- Why people are so interested in doing a detox or cleanse.
- The various beneficial claims people make about doing a detox or cleanse.
- The reality of taking detoxes.
- Online hoaxes and false promises that you should be aware of in order to avoid them.
What’s In A Detox Or Cleanse?
“The cleansing part of a detox is really about getting rid of the horrible, processed foods that you’re eating rather than what it’s actually doing to your system.” – Devon Dionne
The Master Cleanse
The Master Cleanse gives you a sugar high from consuming so much maple syrup every day, keeps you hydrated from the water, and the cayenne pepper claims to improve circulation and metabolism. However, you don’t want to be consuming so much maple syrup every day and the cayenne pepper can actually damage the body after long-term use.
The 10 – Day Green Smoothie
In a nutshell, the 10-Day Green Smoothie basically eliminates all nutrients that you get from consuming protein and macro-nutrients.
The Negative Side Effects
Detoxes and cleanses claim to have a ton of benefits – make you healthy, look young, age better etc. But unless you don’t have a health problem such as a disease or parasite, there’s really no point in doing one. Especially when there are so many negative side effects including:
- Dehydration (because they’re low in salt and carbohydrates)
- Low-Calorie diets slow down your metabolism
- Your body essentially cannibalizes itself and especially harms the muscles because you don’t have the protein it needs to maintain muscle mass.
- People don’t learn better, healthy habits and it becomes a yo-yo diet for them.
- Doing it for long lengths of time will make you feel worse than better in the long end.
- It’s not a lifestyle change that will help you become healthier.
If you do have a disease or a parasite, then you should speak with a holistic doctor who can also suggest vitamins, herbs, and supplements to help you get better.
What Can You Do Besides A Detox Or A Cleanse?
“You don’t want to take all these herbs or supplements and detoxify when you don’t have anything to detoxify from.” – Devon Dionne
Besides trying a detox or a cleanse, there are other ways you help your body including:
- Drinking warm water with lemon.
- Staying hydrated by drinking more water daily.
- Taking out sugars and processed foods in your diet.
- Following a whole foods diet such as one that is Paleo-based.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
2:00 Check out last week’s show: OSF 211 – Weightlifting: How To Get Max Results – Dr. Mike T. Nelson
3:40 Join the conversation in our Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
4:20 Why detoxes and cleanses are potentially a waste of time.
7:40 Common cleanses that you’ve probably heard of before.
8:50 What detoxes and cleanse claim to do for you. Why do you feel so good after doing them?
10:30 Following a cleanse for many days versus doing it occasionally on just one day.
11:30 The 10 – Day Green Smoothie: The pros and cons of it.
13:20 Why and when do people even choose to do a detox?
17:40 How our body is designed to actually detoxify itself.
19:00 What actually happens when you drink warm water with lemon.
20:00 The purpose of the kidneys and colon to help us naturally detox.
23:50 How the lungs and lymph nodes help you naturally detox.
24:40 Why cleanses make you so exhausted that you don’t have the energy to move.
25:00 How a little bit of toxins like alcohol is actually good for us.
27:50 Negative side effects of detoxes and cleanses
35:00 How you can detox the body while also taking supplements to help the process.
40:15 What about environmental detoxes?
42:00 Why changing your lifestyle and eating healthier isn’t that complicated.
42:40 Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
43:00 Final comments with Rob and Devon
44:50 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Sign up for our Sky Fit Challenge!
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out last week’s episode: OSF 211 – Weightlifting: How To Get Max Results – Dr. Mike T. Nelson
- You might be interested in these other Open Sky Fitness Podcast Episodes:
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
Our 8 Week Sky Fit Challenge has begun but you can still sign up for the next round or learn more about it!
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at www.openskyfitness.com/review, ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link.
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 212 – Detoxes & Cleanses: Are They Worth It? We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.