This week we have Bestselling Health and Fitness Author, Host of the Muscle For Life with Mike Matthews Podcast, Mind behind the Stacked app, and Creator of both MuscleForLife.com and Legion Athletics, Mike Matthews, joining us for an interview you don’t want to miss.
In our talk, we dive deep into how Mike got his start in the health and wellness industries as a writer and entrepreneur. But before we get into that, you’ll also learn how his love of research, learning, and writing led him to write numerous other books from Tesla to training guides for various businesses.
In this episode, you’ll also find out:
- How both men and women can get in shape at the gym.
- His favorite weightlifting tips for beginners.
- What advice helped him launched his own business.
- His upcoming book, The Little Black Book of Workout Motivation.
- About his supplement company, Legion Athletics, and what inspired him to start it.
- Inner struggles he has faced but why choosing what type of struggle he experiences makes it worth it for himself and his mission.
- His experience in building various apps and why he wants to offer his, Stacked, for free.
About Legion Athletics
The Little Black Book
Of Workout Motivation
About Mike Matthews
Mike Matthews is a bestselling fitness author of books like “Bigger, Leaner, Stronger” and “Thinner, Leaner, Stronger“. He is also the creator of the blog MuscleForLife.com and the supplement company Legion Athletics. His scientific approach to building muscle and losing fat has helped thousands of people build strong, lean, muscular, and healthy bodies, and his work has been featured in many popular outlets including Bodybuilding.com, Esquire, Men’s Health, Elle, and many more.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
2:00 Check out last week’s show: OSF 214 – Building Lean Muscle: SuperSets vs. Traditional Workouts
2:30 Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
4:15 Stay tuned for our upcoming Facebook Live series in The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
5:30 Introduction to Mike Matthews
8:00 His deep interest in research and digging for answers for himself to find the truth about health and wellness.
11:30 Why he decided to not go to college but instead focus on building a career as an entrepreneur.
14:30 What advice has helped him launched his own business.
15:30 His interest and love of writing and how that helped lead him to write training guides for employers to give to their employees.
17:00 What prompted him to write various books about various topics including Bigger, Leaner, Stronger and the cookbook, The Shredded Chef.
22:30 His upcoming book, The Little Black Book of Workout Motivation.
23:10 About his supplement company, Legion Athletics, and why he started it.
25:00 The various ups and downs he’s experienced so far with Legion Athletics and what lessons he’s learned along the way.
31:00 What is considered a good multivitamin based on the cost to make the product.
32:00 His mission to help and offer people high-quality supplements and vitamins.
38:00 Inner struggles he has faced but why choosing what type of struggle he experiences makes it worth it for himself and his mission.
41:00 Emotional attachments that we all have to certain aspects of life.
44:00 How he’s overcome business losses and came back even stronger.
45:00 How one app didn’t work out but he didn’t let that discourage him and now he’s creating an even better one called, Stacked.
47:10 Exercise – The differences between lifting heavy weights vs. doing cardio with light weights and higher reps.
51:00 Why he loves to work with people who are beginners in the world of health and wellness.
54:30 What women can do to get that toned, leaner and athletic look.
55:20 What men can do to gain more muscle.
55:50 How much and how often both men and women should be lifting.
57:30 His plans to release third editions with updated information about building muscle in both Bigger, Leaner, Stronger and Thinner, Leaner, Stronger.
58:40 The false idea that women cannot build muscle effectively and why it’s wrong.
59:20 How women are taught to initially approach weight lifting compared to men plus what they can do to still build muscle at a good pace.
1:01:10 Why, up to a point, doing low rep ranges (4-6) is just as beneficial as high rep ranges (10-12) for building muscle in the long-term.
1:02:00 The importance of doing your sets close to failure and why low rep ranges are better than high rep if you have to choose one over the other.
1:03:40 Why it’s better to actually enjoy what you’re doing and eating (within healthy limits) than following something that completely makes you miserable.
1:07:30 Final comments with Rob and Devon
1:09:00 Stay tuned for our upcoming Facebook Live series in The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
1:10:40 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Sign up for our Sky Fit Challenge!
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out last week’s episode: OSF 214 – Building Lean Muscle: SuperSets vs. Traditional Workouts
- Connect with Mike Matthews via:
- Visit MuscleForLife.com for blogs and more
- Listen to the Muscle For Life with Mike Matthews Podcast
- Find and read all of Mike Matthews’ books in the Amazon library
- Learn more about Legion Athletics and what supplements they offer
- Download the Stacked app
- Take The Big Five Personality Test
- Learn more about the work of:
- Check out these other Open Sky Fitness related podcast episodes:
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
Our 8 Week Sky Fit Challenge has begun but you can still sign up for the next round or learn more about it!
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at email@example.com or Devon at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can also leave us a review at www.openskyfitness.com/review, ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link.
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: email@example.com
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 215 with Mike Matthews: How to Get BIGGER, LEANER, STRONGER! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.