“Perfectionism is the enemy of progress.” – Winston Churchill
CLICK HERE TO GET 50% OFF ON THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
Being a Perfectionist – Good or Bad?
“Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.” – Salvador Dali
A lot of people take pride in calling themselves a perfectionist because they associate it with being a hard worker. However, is it actually good for our mental and emotional health?
For the majority of us self-proclaiming perfectionists, living that way can set you up for so much anxiety and stress which isn’t good at all.
The Opposite of Perfectionist – Being a High Achiever
A high achiever can strive for excellence with the amount of progress they make because it provides them the opportunity to learn and grow. Meanwhile, a perfectionist’s focus on achievement is so much less forgiving and they tend to beat themselves up over any mistake which robs them of any satisfaction and pride in their work or any happiness on the progress they’ve made.
Hitting a goal is not the same as being perfect. Our society molds us to think we have to get straight A’s in order to be successful; that we have to be perfect in order to be successful. High achievers know that it’s okay to fail and they see it as a way to learn.
“Perfectionists will stress more and achieve less than high-achievers. High-achievers will always achieve more because they’re enjoying the process of learning.” – Rob and Devon Dionne
Are You A Perfectionist or A High Achiever?
A high achiever feels the pull and is drawn towards a goal. While a perfectionist feels pushed and stressed over the idea they have to do it or there’s something wrong with them.
If you’re on the fence whether or not you’re a perfectionist or a high achiever, here are the top 10 signs for both categories:
The Top 10 Signs That You’re A Perfectionist
- You see success as an all or nothing situation. Anything short of success means failure.
- You have a fear of failure which leads to you becoming a procrastinator.
- You become overly judgemental of yourself and others.
- You’re emotionally closed off to others and it’s hard for you to be open and honest about what you’re not perfect at.
- You become defensive don’t accept constructive criticism well.
- You feel anxious and depressed about all of your setbacks. You see any setback as a direct reflection of their self-worth.
- You live with anxiety and stress every day because you’re constantly overthinking of what you should be doing next to be successful.
- You continually set unrealistic goals for yourself all the time. If they don’t reach their goal, then they only see failure and not as a way to learn.
- Misery loves company – You love hearing about other people’s failures.
- You have low self-esteem and this constant feeling of guilt and being ashamed of not succeeding.
The Top 10 Signs That You’re A High Achiever
- You see any type of success or failure as progress. Regardless of how you’re doing with your goal, you’ll see it as progress.
- You think and focus on your goals with eagerness rather than feel pressured to succeed and therefore you’re less likely to procrastinate.
- You’re not afraid or intimidated by others success and want to learn from people who inspire you.
- You can admit which areas you need to improve and you seek answers on how you can do something better.
- You’re okay with people giving you constructive criticism because you know you can either accept it or not and it also doesn’t define who you are.
- You’re easy going about setbacks and know you can bounce back from them.
- Enjoy celebrating the goals that they’ve achieved so that they can be happy about it, relax, and decompress.
- Set realistic goals for themselves so that they can truly enjoy the process. If they don’t succeed, then they still see the process as a valuable learning experience.
- You cheer people on and celebrate their successes.
- You accept who you are and love yourself.
How To Shift From Perfectionist to a High Achiever
Being a perfectionist isn’t good for you and you won’t be able to change overnight but here are some easy ways to get started. Just stick with each action for a length of time and you’ll be able to see your mentality towards work, success, failure, and life change.
- Self-awareness – identify your tendencies with a gratitude journal
- Focus on the positive things in your life
- Affirmations – alter the way you talk to yourself
- Begin to see criticism as a way to improve
- Start separating fantasy from reality in your life
- Learn how to enjoy the process and not focus on solely the result
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
2:00 Check out last week’s show: OSF 217 – How Interval Training Can Speed Up Weight Loss with Dr. Martin Gibala
3:00 Join us for our next 5-week Transition Challenge and 8-week Sky Fit Challenge HERE!
4:30 A break down of what the Sky Fit Challenge really is.
11:00 Stay tuned for our upcoming series of Facebook Lives in The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group
12:20 Today’s topic on perfectionism.
13:20 Rob’s own struggle with perfectionism and why we chose to talk about it today.
13:50 Is it a good thing to be a perfectionist?
15:30 The differences between High Achievers and Perfectionists.
20:00 Why we get so hung up on the need of being perfect around people.
22:00 The Top 10 Signs That You’re A Perfectionist or A High Achiever
1:02:20 How you can begin to shift from being a perfectionist to a high achiever.
1:17:00 Final comments with Rob and Devon
1:18:00 Lean towards being a high achiever and take baby steps with your health in our Sky Fit Challenge
1:21:50 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Sign up for our Sky Fit Challenge!
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out last week’s episode: OSF 217 – How Interval Training Can Speed Up Weight Loss with Dr. Martin Gibala
- Learn more about the Perform Better Summit
- Discover more about Dan John
- Find out more about Mike Boyle
- You might be interested in these other Open Sky Fitness episodes:
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
Our 8 Week Sky Fit Challenge has begun but you can still sign up for the next round or learn more about it!
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at www.openskyfitness.com/review, ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link.
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 218 – Perfectionists vs. High Achievers: Which One Are You? We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.