Self Love: Why We Have To Work For Our Own Happiness with Briar Flicker-Grossman
Can you love yourself? Because when you love you, you can love others. – Briar Flicker-Grossman
Self Love with Briar Flicker-Grossman
Practicing psychotherapist, psychoanalyst, and life coach plus the author of the upcoming book, Love, Laugh, Be: How I Wound Up With Nine Amazing Kids (When I Only Knew About Three) And Other Extraordinary True Stories That Matter. Briar Flicker-Grossman, joins us to share why you have to work for your happiness through self-love, explores the Failure To Thrive Syndrome, and discusses importance of exploring your internal appetite, thoughts, and emotions before acting on something.
This was an especially amazing interview because both Devon and I know Briar personally and Devon has even had psychotherapy sessions with her. We really loved sharing Briar’s message on the show and we know you will too PLUS she is even giving some free gifts to you, our listener!
Free Gifts From Briar Flicker-Grossman
- A complimentary copy of two chapters from her upcoming book
- Your Satisfaction/Hunger Assessment
In this episode, we also discuss with Briar Flicker-Grossman:
- How to actually recognize, connect, and explore all of your feelings with psychotherapy and on your own.
- Self-sabotage at its core through judgment, comparison, and competition.
- How to sit and connect with yourself with meditation without rules and limitations.
- Creating habits as long as you’re in touch with your emotional, physical, and mental hunger.
- Uncovering who you want to be when you “grow up.”
- The importance of open communication with your intimate partner.
- How to start focusing on yourself now, what you want, and how to share that with a partner who will support you
There’s now greater and greater recognition of how important it is to sit down and get present to your breath and your mind. I know it can be horrifying to sit there alone with yourself and the horror is that you think you’re going to disintegrate, there’s too much anger, or you’re going to get scared because in the quiet we might start to hear the stuff we’ve shoved down that we didn’t want to be aware of. However, if you can feel those things then you get to heal those things. – Briar Flicker-Grossman
About Briar Flicker-Grossman
Briar is a licensed therapist having received her Master’s degree in Clinical Social Work from New York University, and Doctorate in Psychoanalysis from the Psychoanalytic Center of California.
She is a certified affiliate instructor of The Bradley Method for childbirth, and received training in general coaching through the two year Team, Management, and Leadership program at Landmark Education. Currently she is also Assistant Faculty at the Psychoanalytic Center of California teaching post graduate students and doctoral candidates.
Dr. Briar Flicker-Grossman is available to speak with groups and organizations interested in self-growth and development, and overcoming what may seem impossible… like cancer. Whether you are looking for a therapist, coach, childbirth class, or group for your teen, above all, her mission is to get to know you and help you get to know yourself and live your life with meaning and power.
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Introducing: The Official Coffee Diet Group
What is The Official Coffee Diet Group? It’s a group in which I’m going to share how you can get started with The Official Coffee Diet, transform your lifestyle, lose weight, roast your own coffee beans, and start feeling great!
Let Us Coach You On The Podcast!
Come on the podcast and let us be your coach for an hour on the show!
We talked about this a while back but we want you, the listener, to be a guest on our show by allowing us to be your personal coaches for a 1-hour call. Your call will be featured as an actual episode on our podcast but can always keep your identity hidden by changing your name because we know that our health is everything and some things we’d like to keep to ourselves.
Here’s how you sign up:
- Go to http://openskyfitness.com/contact/
- Fill out your name, email address, and message
- In your message, please include:
- Your goals
- What obstacles you believe are standing in your way
- Your expectations and how you think Devon and Rob can help you
What You’ll Hear on This Episode With Briar Flicker-Grossman
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
2:00 Rob and Devon’s conscious decision to take time during Thanksgiving for themselves to connect as a family on vacation.
6:40 What to expect in today’s interview with Briar.
10:00 Introduction to Brier Flicker-Grossman
11:15 What the word, “appetite” can mean in our lives outside of food.
13:00 Why we are all born psychosomatic, what that’s a good thing and what that means for our wellbeing.
16:00 Exploring taboo appetites from sex to money.
20:00 The importance of exploring your internal appetite, thoughts, and emotions before acting on something.
24:00 How to actually recognize, connect, and explore all of your feelings with psychotherapy and on your own.
25:50 Why affirmations are more of a band-aid than an actual tool for self-improvement.
32:00 Self-sabotage at its core through judgment, comparison, and competition.
35:00 How to sit and connect with yourself with meditation without rules and limitations.
40:00 Creating habits as long as you’re in touch with your emotional, physical, and mental hunger.
44:00 Exploring Failure To Thrive Syndrome and why love is as important as food.
49:00 The human condition of wanting so hard to just be right instead of just “being.”
51:30 A child’s version of what it means to be a grown-up by being totally independent when it’s actually about recognizing the importance of connection, love, and help.
58:00 Why we choose our partners and maybe, later on, marry them.
1:00:00 Being reasonable vs. unreasonable in our relationships.
1:06:00 Uncovering who you want to be when you “grow up.”
1:08:30 The importance of open communication with your intimate partner.
1:17:00 How to start focusing on yourself now, what you want, and how to share that with a partner who will support you.
1:22:00 Get to know yourself and your appetite now with Briar at drbriar.com/openskyfitness
1:24:00 Closing comments with Rob and Devon
1:34:00 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW WITH BRIAR FLICKER-GROSSMAN
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Learn more about the Sky Fit Challenge
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out our other latest podcast episodes:
- Connect with Briar Flicker Grossman
- Read these books mentioned on the show:
- Learn more about the study: Romanian orphans subjected to deprivation must now deal with dysfunction
- Watch the Three Identical Strangers trailer
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at email@example.com or Devon at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can also leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: email@example.com
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading Episode 268 – Self Love: Why We Have To Work For Our Own Happiness with Briar Flicker-Grossman! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.