Brian lives quite a unique lifestyle. In the winter, he and his family are down in Costa Rica living at the El Toledo Coffee Farm but they spend their summers in Milwaukee, Wisconsin where they help sell the farm’s coffee beans.
The El Toledo Coffee Farm has quite the background and I’m excited to bring Brian on to share its story with you.
As you tune into our conversation, we also discuss:
- Starbucks and other big coffee brand’s biggest secret when it comes to roasting their beans.
- Brian’s own experience with intermittent fasting and shorter, intense workouts to lose weight and stay healthy.
- The story of how he and his wife stumbled upon the El Toledo Coffee Farm in Costa Rica and its incredible story.
- How most coffee farms in Costa Rica roast and prepare their coffee beans.
- Why the terms “organic” and “fair trade” can really impact the coffee economy.
- The fact that coffee brands have to pay thousands of dollars to be certified “organic” and thus only 1% of Costa Rican farms have that certification because they cannot afford it.
- How the El Toledo Coffee Farm family diversified their farm to provide for their own family with crops and livestock.
- The lifestyle and priorities of people Costa Rica versus that of the United States of America and what we can learn from that.
Hope you enjoyed this interview! It was a great reminder for me that whatever you’re doing for your health and wellness, be sure to do it with joy!
Introducing: The Official Coffee Diet Group
I am launching The Official Coffee Diet Group on Facebook and you can get 50% off for the 8-week program with the code OCD50OFF.
What is The Official Coffee Diet Group? It’s a group in which I’m going to share how you can get started with The Official Coffee Diet, transform your lifestyle, lose weight, roast your own coffee beans, and start feeling great!
Let Us Coach You On The Podcast!
Come on the podcast and let us be your coach for an hour on the show!
We talked about this a while back but we want you, the listener, to be a guest on our show by allowing us to be your personal coaches for a 1-hour call. Your call will be featured as an actual episode on our podcast but can always keep your identity hidden by changing your name because we know that our health is everything and some things we’d like to keep to ourselves.
Here’s how you sign up:
- Go to http://openskyfitness.com/contact/
- Fill out your name, email address, and message
- In your message, please include:
- Your goals
- What obstacles you believe are standing in your way
- Your expectations and how you think Devon and Rob can help you
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob
3:40 Important factors about weight loss to keep in mind and why it’s like the stock market.
8:00 What it actually means to be healthy and create a lifestyle based on self-care.
10:40 Introduction to Brian Stoffel
11:20 His article on why big coffee companies have to roast their beans to uniformity.
12:00 His origin story of being middle school teachers and later on began working on a coffee farm in Costa Rica.
13:00 Why he and his wife decided to go to Costa Rica for 1 year and ended up living their half of the year.
15:00 How he came to be a writer for the Motley Fool and his regular contributions to Medium.
19:00 What they do in Milwaukee during the summers when they’re back in the USA.
22:00 The start to finish process of coffee creation in various countries.
23:20 Why these big-name coffee brands have to run their operations in order to bring the same experience to everyone globally.
28:00 How most coffee farms in Costa Rica roast and prepare their coffee.
34:20 Which roasts of coffee are the best for most people.
35:40 The immense amount of coffee that they bring with them to Milwaukee to sell at the Farmer’s market.
37:00 What the coffee season is like in Costa Rica.
43:00 Why the terms “organic” and “fair trade” can really impact the coffee economy.
45:00 Their mission to stay as local as possible with their coffee.
46:20 Different focuses and priorities in Costa Rica compared to the USA.
48:40 The incredible story behind the coffee farm in Costa Rica that his family lives at.
50:00 Coffee brands have to pay thousands of dollars to be certified organic and thus only 1% of Costa Rican farms are organic.
54:50 How the family diversified their farm to provide for their own family with crops and livestock.
56:00 The importance of visiting the farms that you buy from and understanding their background story.
57:40 Brian’s own experience with intermittent fasting and shorter, intense workouts to lose weight and stay healthy.
1:07:00 His experience trying Vietnamese coffee prepared in their traditional method.
1:09:00 The immense variety of different types of coffee even within the small country of Costa Rica.
1:11:30 Closing comments with Rob
1:13:00 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Learn more about the Sky Fit Challenge
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out our other latest podcast episodes:
- Connect with Brian via:
- Learn more about the El Toledo Coffee Farm
- Read Brian’s article, The Bitter Truth About Starbucks Coffee
- Learn more about The Official Coffee Diet
- Check out Sweet Maria’s Home Coffee Roasting
- Read Ishmael: A Novel by Daniel Quinn
- Learn more about Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Check out OSF 234 – Gretchen Rubin: Navigating Expectations With The Four Tendencies
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading Episode 265- Starbucks’ Biggest Secret with Brian Stoffel! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.