“Happiness is the path. Happiness is the way and what’s going to allow you to do all of the things you want to do in life and receive more enjoyment from them.” – Marcus Martinez
If kettlebells, strength training, and personal development are your jam then you’re going to love this episode!
I sat down with my friend, Master Instructor for Kettlebell Kings, and past Master Kettlebell Coach at Onnit, Marcus Martinez to share what sparked his interest in kettlebells, his transition from personal training to growing businesses and presenting mastermind events, how he adapted a healthy, positive mindset, his journey towards figuring out his priorities in life, and what’s next for him in the world of health and fitness.
As you listen, we’ll discuss:
- Building a mindset for health and life transitions – It shouldn’t be a job, it should bring you joy!
- His career transition from owning his own gym to working with Onnit to joining Kettlebell Kings.
- Going beyond kettlebell training and networking with other people in your field.
- How he reconnected with his children by focusing his entire life on them after his divorce.
- The need we have to keep doing more and be more yet we forget about the important things in life such as family.
- Why the key to success is happiness and being positive.
- The problem with social media today with everyone trying to be famous and thus not being their authentic selves.
“When you surrender to the process and don’t worry about the results, good shit happens.” – Marcus Martinez
About Marcus Martinez
One of the most respected names worldwide in kettlebell training, Marcus Martinez is an innovator for kettlebell training in the United States. He specializes in moving kettlebell users from beginning stages of learning into advanced training movement flows and complexes. Martinez brings over a decade of kettlebell training experience to Kettlebell Kings and Living.Fit with his proven training methodology.
Marcus became a certified personal trainer in 2001 and hasn’t stopped learning, innovating and creating. He fell in love with methods such as kettlebells, calisthenics, rings, Indian Clubs and more, for their ability to create stronger, leaner, more resilient athletes in record time.
Founding MBody Strength in 2008, Marcus has worked with clients ranging from stay at home moms to elite levels of strength and conditioning, including UFC fighters, Secret Service agents, top-level athletes, military personnel and more. He has continued to expand his contribution to the masses through the creation of the Kettlebell Difference.
Let Us Coach You On The Podcast!
Come on the podcast and let us be your coach for an hour on the show!
We talked about this a while back but we want you, the listener, to be a guest on our show by allowing us to be your personal coaches for a 1-hour call. Your call will be featured as an actual episode on our podcast but can always keep your identity hidden by changing your name because we know that our health is everything and some things we’d like to keep to ourselves.
Here’s how you sign up:
- Go to http://openskyfitness.com/contact/
- Fill out your name, email address, and message
- In your message, please include:
- Your goals
- What obstacles you believe are standing in your way
- Your expectations and how you think Devon and Rob can help you
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob
3:00 Building a mindset for health and life transitions – It shouldn’t be a job, it should bring you joy.
8:40 Introduction to Marcus Martinez
11:00 How to be present to what is happening in your life and enjoy the process.
13:00 His career transition from owning his own gym to working with Onnit to joining Kettlebell Kings.
18:00 His evolution from personal trainer to gym owner and everything he had to learn about business along the way.
19:30 How he got into kettlebell workouts right from the very beginning.
21:00 The fact that kettlebells and training used to be way more expensive back in the start of it.
24:30 The difference between RKC Kettlebell Certification training and what he does now.
31:00 There’s always room for improvement as a personal trainer or gym owner.
32:30 What’s in store for him in the future with developing new programs and certificates.
34:20 Going beyond kettlebell training and networking with other people in your field.
38:00 Being mentioned in a Men’s Health article: Men’s Health 55 Instagram accounts that will motivate the hell out of you
41:00 Telling the difference someone with a dogmatic approach who’s just trying to sell you something and someone who’s opening to learning and growing.
43:00 How he reconnected with his children by focusing his entire life on them after his divorce.
48:00 Why we fall in love with the hustle of the entrepreneur and business world and how Marcus got away from that mindset through faith, spirituality, family, and what matters the most to him.
51:30 The need we have to keep doing more and be more yet we forget about the important things in life such as family.
57:00 How to slow down and take a look at where your life is going.
1:00:00 Why the key to success is happiness and being positive.
1:01:30 The problem with social media today with everyone trying to be famous and thus not being their authentic selves.
1:04:30 Putting yourself and your needs first before helping others.
1:09:00 How to find joy in daily life, your career, and what you want to accomplish in life.
1:10:00 Closing comments with Rob
1:10:50 Check out Rob’s story of how began The Official Coffee Diet
1:01: Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Learn more about the Sky Fit Challenge
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out our other latest podcast episodes:
- Connect with Marcus Martinez via
- Follow @ kettlebellexercises on Instagram
- Buy Kettlebell Kings’ Virtual Kettlebell Certification – 2 Day Course Material By Marcus Martinez
- Read Inside The Onnit Academy: Meet Marcus Martinez by Sean Hyson
- Check out 55 Fitness Instagram Accounts That Will Motivate the Hell Out Of You
- Find out more about Kettlebell Kings and Living.Fit
- Follow The Official Coffee Diet on Instagram
- Learn more about kettlebell exercises from these experts and resources:
- Find out more about Jay Ferruggia
- Check out Chief Fitness Officer for Onnit, John Wolf
- Follow Craig Ballantyne and attend one of his Mastermind’s
- Tune into The Growth Now Movement with Justin Schenck
- You might be interested in these other Open Sky Fitness Podcast episodes:
- Simplifying Intermittent Fasting: You’Re Welcome! With Kristen Mancinelli – Ep. 247
- The Carnivore Diet: Is It Right For You? With Sean Hyson – Ep. 242
- How To Lose 30 Pounds In 10 Weeks With Sean Hyson – Ep: 65
- Nicole Visnic: The Truth About Individual Nutrition Needs – Ep. 154
- How To Get Bigger, Leaner, Stronger With Mike Matthews – Ep. 215
- Craig Ballantyne: Create A Perfect Day- Ep. 91
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at email@example.com or Devon at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can also leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: email@example.com
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 259 with Marcus Martinez- The Mind Of A Kettlebell Master! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.