Why Your Brain Wants To Overeat with Stephan J. Guyenet
Speaker, Science Consultant, Founder of Red Pen Reviews, and Author of The Hungry Brain, Stephan J. Guyenet, joins me to discuss how the way we live today has impacted the food we eat, how often we eat, and why the brain wants us to overeat.
Join us in this podcast episode as Rob and Stephan J. Guyenet discuss:
- Where hunger comes from.
- What we know and what we continue to learn about our eating habits today.
- Why we have such a hard time maintaining our weight or stopping ourselves from overeating.
- Why our brain and body work the way they do to hold onto fat and keep us overweight.
- Several factors that are suspected or known to move the bodyweight set point.
We also discussed his health book reviewing website, Red Pen Reviews, why it will help you find the right books to read, and why other reviews like that from Amazon are basically worthless.
About Stephan J. Guyenet
He lives in the Seattle area, grows unreasonable amounts of potatoes, and brews a mean hard cider.
TEDxHarvardLaw – Stephan Guyenet – The American Diet
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Introducing: The Official Coffee Diet Group
What is The Official Coffee Diet Group? It’s a group in which I’m going to share how you can get started with The Official Coffee Diet, transform your lifestyle, lose weight, roast your own coffee beans, and start feeling great!
Let Us Coach You On The Podcast!
Come on the podcast and let us be your coach for an hour on the show!
We talked about this a while back but we want you, the listener, to be a guest on our show by allowing us to be your personal coaches for a 1-hour call. Your call will be featured as an actual episode on our podcast but can always keep your identity hidden by changing your name because we know that our health is everything and some things we’d like to keep to ourselves.
Here’s how you sign up:
- Go to http://openskyfitness.com/contact/
- Fill out your name, email address, and message
- In your message, please include:
- Your goals
- What obstacles you believe are standing in your way
- Your expectations and how you think Devon and Rob can help you
What You’ll Hear on This Episode | Why Your Brain Wants To Overeat with Stephan J. Guyenet
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob
3:00 Living a healthy life doesn’t mean you have to turn into a gym rat.
4:30 A special message from Rob’s friend, Oz.
6:00 Share your feedback with Rob and Devon on iTunes
8:30 Introduction to Stephan J. Guyenet
9:00 The start of his career and why he has such a great interest in neuroscience.
13:00 His book, The Hungry Brain, and what readers will learn when they read it.
15:30 Where does hunger come from? What we know and what we continue to learn about our eating habits today.
19:00 Why we have such a hard time maintaining our weight or stopping ourselves from overeating.
22:30 Why our brain and body work the way they do to hold onto fat and keep us overweight.
25:40 Our “comfortable” weight and how that can change either positively or negatively over time.
28:30 Several factors that are suspected or known to move the body weight set point.
33:00 How our modern environment has impacted our food decisions and health.
42:30 Diet palatability: How seductive is the food that you’re eating?
46:00 Why we’re so trigged to eat fast food or overeat.
51:00 How to train the mind to let go of bad habits.
56:00 Foods that tend to push us to overeat and what we can focus on buying/shopping for instead.
57:40 Observing the differences between what our hunter/gatherer ancestors ate compared to what we eat today.
1:03:00 Exploring time-restricting eating.
1:05:10 His health book reviewing website, Red Pen Reviews, why you should check it out, and why other reviews like that from Amazon are basically worthless.
1:13:00 Closing comments with Rob
1:15:00 Join the conversation in our Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group
1:19:20 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Learn more about the Sky Fit Challenge
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Connect with Stephan J. Guyenet via
- Check out Red Pen Reviews
- Learn more about Cooperative breeding in South American hunter-gatherers by Kim Hill and A. Magdalena Hurtado
- Listen to these other Open Sky Fitness Podcast episodes:
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading Episode 273 – Why Your Brain Wants To Overeat with Stephan J. Guyenet! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.