“For children, the cancer risks may be greater than for adults because of greater penetration and absorption of cell phone radiation in the brain’s of children and because the developing nervous system of children is more susceptible to tissue-damaging agents. Based on this new information, regulatory agents need to make strong recommendations for consumers to take precautionary measures and avoid close contact with their cell phones and especially limit or avoid the use of cell phones by children.” – Dr. Ronald Melnick
- How cell phone use can affect our health.
- Why California and other states are issuing warnings about cell phone use and presenting new bills.
- How cell phones and non-ionizing electromagnetic waves work and can affect the body.
- How long it might take to see clear side effects.
- How cell phones might cause changes in our DNA with long-term use.
- The amount of time limitation children should have with cell phones, laptops, tablets, and other devices.
- How to reduce the radiation exposure from cell phone use and what to know when using your cell phone.
- Why you don’t want to use products that promise to protect you from radiation like a radiation shield cell phone case and the negative consequences of those products.
- Signs that you might be addicted to your phone.
Ionizing vs. Non-Ionizing Electromagnetic Radiation
According to the FDA, there’s currently no consistent evidence that cell phones and non-ionizing radiation risks are harmful, but there are a lot of studies being done. It’s actually a very hard thing to test for, but studies have discovered various pieces of information and how cell phones can affect adults. Testing cannot be done on children, but many states want to introduce new bills on the regulation of cell phone use with children.
How to Reduce Radiation Exposure from Cell Phone Use
The effects of constant cell phone use are still unclear, but here are some precautions that you can take just in case:
- Keep your cell phone 0.2 inches away from the body.
- Don’t wear cell-phones in armbands and don’t keep it in your clothing or on your body i.e. pockets, bra.
- If you put it in a purse, make sure it’s a thick one or the cell phone isn’t near your body while it’s inside the purse.
- If you have to pick your cell phone up to use it, put it down somewhere once you’ve finished using it; don’t keep holding onto it/keep it on you as you move around.
- Keep your cell phone on airplane mode as you sleep.
- Don’t keep it inside your bed, under your pillow, or even right next to you on your nightstand as you sleep.
- Your cell phone’s radiation is higher when it’s at 1 or 2 bars and is searching for a signal. So, the radiation will probably be higher when you’re on a bus, train, or even inside a car sometimes compared to being out in the open. Try not to use it during these moments or keep it close to your body.
- Don’t live stream media i.e. movies and music. It’s much better to download them onto your cell phone. If you do live stream, keep it away from your head.
- Don’t talk on your cell phone for too long with the phone right up against your head.
- Try to text whenever you can. Don’t keep your cell phone directly to your ear while making calls; a hands-free Bluetooth connection is better.
Do You Have a Phone Addiction?
If you have more than 3 of these, then you probably have a phone addiction:
- You check your phone constantly and can’t use it in moderation.
- You feel compelled to answer messages immediately.
- You spend more time on your phone than planned.
- You vow to quit using it so much, but just can’t.
- You feel irritable if you don’t have it.
- You feel anxiety or panic if you leave your phone at home.
- If you find it difficult to give people your full attention in the present moment because you’re so distracted by your phone.
- You would rather connect with people via phone than face to face.
- You feel guilty or get defensive about the amount of time you spend on your phone.
- You hide how much you use your phone from other people.
The NIEHS/NTP Cell Phone Radiation Study: Ronald Melnick PhD Full Interview
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at www.openskyfitness.com/review, ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
1:30 Check out last week’s show – OSF 187 with Dr. Todd Nelson: Is a Naturopathic Doctor Right For You?
2:20 Today’s topic: How cell phones can affect your health
2:50 Join our Open Sky Fitness Podcast Facebook Group
3:20 Shout out to our Open Sky Fit Challenge group!
7:30 Cell phone use and how it can affect our health.
8:50 Why California and other states like Maryland are issuing warnings about cell phone use.
9:30 What we should do according to California state guidelines.
10:40 What is electromagnetic radiation from cell phones and how it can affect our health.
14:30 How cell phones and non-ionizing electromagnetic waves work and can affect the body.
19:00 Why there aren’t a lot of concrete studies being done on cell phones yet and how long it might take to see clear side effects.
22:00 How cell phones might cause changes in our DNA with long-term use
23:00 The actual radiation levels cell phones give off and why you should keep your cell phone away from your body.
26:00 What cell phone companies are required to do and not do. Where to find important information about your cell phone.
29:30 How much limitation should children have with cell phones, laptops, tablets, and other devices.
31:00 How general usage of cell phones and computers has changed the attention spans and focus in children.
32:00 The effect of cell phone use for pregnant women
33:30 How to reduce the radiation exposure from cell phone use and what to know when using your cell phone.
37:30 Why you don’t want to use protects that promise to protect you from radiation like a radiation shield cell phone case and the negative consequences.
40:00 Wireless technology around the house and how that could be affecting you.
46:45 How technology is affecting our posture and body pain
49:50 Signs that you might have a phone addiction.
53:00 Surprising cell phone stats!
56:30 Closing comments with Rob and Devon
58:00 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Sign up for our Sky Fit Challenge!
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out last week’s episode OSF 187 with Dr. Todd Nelson: Is a Naturopathic Doctor Right For You?
- New Kaiser Permanente Study Provides Evidence of Health Risks Linked to Electromagnetic Field Exposure
- Pew Research Center Mobile Fact Sheet
- The 4 Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss
- Download the Be Limitless Chrome extension
- About Ronald L. Melnick, PhD
- OSF 132 with Dr. Craig Liebenson – The Power of Functional Movement
- OSF 087 with Dr. Kelly Starrett: How to Prevent Injuries and Improve Performance
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading Episode 188 – Cell Phones: Health Risks and How to Avoid Them! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.