“Who I am is not about my achievements. Who I am is what’s inside.” – Ingrid Marcum
What I am supposed to do with my life now that I’m no longer an athlete?
From high school and college to professional athletes, that is a question many people find them themselves asking as they adjust to the idea that athletic competition is no longer the center of their life.
This week, we have multi-sport athlete, speaker, educator, strength & conditioning coach, and movement specialist, Ingrid Marcum aka The Iron Valkyrie, sharing her own experience and how she discovered her own value and confidence during the ongoing process.
As Rob speaks to Ingrid about her life as an athlete, she opens up about what it was truly like to retire from athletics and start a new path in life. But it’s not that easy; this is something that she is still working on and wants to help people who are facing a similar obstacle.
Not only is Ingrid’s experience a common sensation for athletes but we can all relate to it via other scenarios such as being new parents, being older parents who are now empty nesters, starting a new to a job, getting ready to retire, preparing to leave the military forces or any other big transition we experience in our lives.
In this episode, you will learn:
- Ingrid’s own transition to find her true identity after ending her athletic career by doing the inner work.
- The power of focusing on what can you do while in the midst of struggle and setbacks.
- How to change your negative mindset to one accepting reality and dealing with it the best that you can.
- Why it takes time to discover and accept who you really are as a person.
- How to compete at a high level and still have a blast with it while not taking yourself too seriously.
- The process of being happy with where you are in life right now.
Breathing for Performance
Contact Ingrid here with questions or to request more information on working with her
Focused breathing work is often overlooked as a key to performance. I only learned about incorporating breathing techniques toward the end of my athletic career, but have found it to be extremely helpful for myself, my athletes and my clients.
Most athletes and people, in general, have altered breathing mechanics that can affect them in various ways. But efficient breathing plays a role in mobility, stability, ability to focus, concentrate and deal with stress in addition to contributing to recovery and sleep! I hope you find these tips as valuable as I have in training myself and my athletes and clients!
Feel free to contact me with questions or to learn more about how you can work with me – I’m available for seminars, workshops & speaking engagements as well as a limited number of direct individual movement work, either in person or online.
Intro to Breathing for Performance
About Ingrid Marcum
Today, she is a sought after speaker, educator, strength & conditioning coach, and movement specialist.
A frequent speaker at events such as Perform Better, IDEA World, Perform Better Europe, CPTN, Summer Strong 8, Women’s Fitness Summit, NSCA
- Owner, BGB Fitness Studio since 2007
- East coast Regional Coach, Lead Course Instructor, CrossFit SME: Weightlifting
- Director of Programming, Battling Ropes
- Battling Ropes Consultant, US Soccer Women’s National Team
- Star of Battling Ropes DVDs: “Hurricane Ingrid” and “Partner and Team Training”, “Mastery of Physical Prowess” DVD – with John Brookfield
- Head strength coach, US National Women’s field hockey team and US Under-21 National team (2001-2003)
- Assistant strength coach, College of William and Mary (1999-2001)
- Strength coach and personal trainer since 1997, CSCS certified
Let Us Coach You On The Podcast!
Come on the podcast and let us be your coach for an hour on the show!
We talked about this a while back but we want you, the listener, to be a guest on our show by allowing us to be your personal coaches for a 1-hour call. Your call will be featured as an actual episode on our podcast but can always keep your identity hidden by changing your name because we know that our health is everything and some things we’d like to keep to ourselves.
Here’s how you sign up:
- Go to https://openskyfitness.com/contact/
- Fill out your name, email address, and message
- In your message, please include:
- Your goals
- What obstacles you believe are standing in your way
- Your expectations and how you think Devon and Rob can help you
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
1:30 About our guest today, Ingrid Marcum
6:00 About Ingrid’s career in athletics that began when she was as young as 18 months.
8:00 Her natural gymnastics ability and how that helped her later down the line in her career.
9:30 The numerous injuries she has experienced throughout her entire life, lessons learned from that, and how she bounced back on her own.
13:00 How her love of gymnastics led her to continue focusing on fitness and wellness be a part of her life once she was done competing.
15:00 The work she did to let go of gymnastics being her only identity to just a part of who she is.
17:00 The power of focusing on what can you do while in the midst of struggle and setbacks.
19:40 The importance of mentally processing what is happening in our lives instead of being all, “poor me.”
20:20 How to change your negative mindset to one accepting reality and dealing with it the best that you can.
23:30 The moments she does find most frustrating with her current injury and how she’s working through it all with a focused, positive mindset.
26:00 Her transition to find her true identity after ending her athletic career by doing the inner work and learning about herself.
37:00 How to just find happiness with where you are in life right now.
42:00 Finding something that excites you in life to make everything around you better.
45:00 Why being who you are and being okay with it takes time and effort.
47:00 Her evolution of social skills and relating more to people over time.
56:00 How to handle and work through your emotions as a competitive athlete.
58:30 How to compete at a high level and still have a blast with it without taking yourself too seriously.
1:00:00 How gaining greater emotional intelligence and love for yourself can actually help your athletic career.
1:10 What’s in store for her next in her mission to help other people work through what she did when she retired from sports.
1:14:20 Final comments with Rob and Devon.
1:15:00 Let us know if you want to do a Coaching Call episode with us!
1:16:50 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Learn more about the Sky Fit Challenge
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out our previous interview: Dan John’s Ten Commandments of Fitness – Ep. 248
- Listen to our latest Coaching Call: Chronic Multitasking Health Hazard: Coaching Call | Ep. 249
- Connect with Ingrid Marcum via:
- Find a Perform Better Summit event near you!
- Watch the Pumping Iron movie trailer
- Check out the Eddie Hall documentary, Eddie: Strongman
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 250 with Ingrid Marcum: Discover Your Value & Confidence! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.