Enter Our Review Contest by June 22!
Win a Free Book!
We have up to 18 books to give away to listeners who leave us an iTunes podcast review! For every 10 reviews that we receive, we’ll pick a name out of a hat to select the winner. Each winner will get to choose which book we send them.
Even if you wrote a review in the past, you can still enter the contest. Since we’re waiting until we receive ten screenshots of reviews to draw a name, you have multiple chances to write reviews and enter. The more entries we receive, the more books we’re going to giveaway!
Here’s what to do:
- Leave us a podcast review on iTunes
- Take a screenshot of your old or new review (the new review may take around 24 hours to show up on iTunes)
- Go to the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group
- Leave a post in the OSF Facebook Group with your screenshot and the hashtag #OSFContest so we can easily find your entry.
- We will announce the winners in the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group this Thursday during our weekly live Q & A AT 7:15PM PST
- You have until June 22nd to enter! Good luck! 🙂
What’s Better? Split or Full Body Workout?
Rather than just going to the gym and randomly selecting workouts to do, it’s always best to go in with a plan.
That’s why on this week’s episode of the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, Devon and I are sharing the pros and cons of both split and full body workouts PLUS when one type of workout is better than the other.
Either is great and you will see benefits with both. However, if you are hitting a plateau and not seeing any new results, you might want to try something new.
At the end of this post, you’ll also find Rob’s Full Body MWF Split Workout to try on your own. You can also join in the conversation on the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group to share updates, ask questions, and find an accountability partner to help you complete each workout.
What is a Split Workout?
When you do a split workout, it means that you’re only working 1-2 muscle groups a day. For example, on Monday you would only work your chest and triceps so then on Tuesday you solely focus on your back and biceps and Wednesday is just legs and shoulders.
By following a split workout routine, you only work each area just once or twice a week.
This allows you to give certain body groups up to 48 hours of rest along with a complete resting weekend or doing a bit of active recovery on your off days. Active recovery can include walking, hiking, easy bike riding, different family activities etc.
It’s believed that split training can be better for aesthetic results.
The Pros and Cons of Split Workouts
“Split training is better if you have to train multiple days in a row. If you only have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday available to work out, you’re not going to work your full body on those days because you’ll be exhausted and not have any recovery time in between days.” – Rob and Devon Dionne
Pros of doing split workouts:
- You can hit those muscle groups with focused, maxed intensity and even to the point where you can’t lift anymore
- Your body has plenty of time to fully recover between split workouts so that you feel fresh for your next workout.
- You’re building greater muscle endurance when your muscles are tired because your working them out to their full potential.
- If you have a weak area, a split workout really helps you take the time to focus on just building one area of your body
Cons of split workouts:
- Reducing weight on the machines by the 3rd, 4th rep because your muscles are easily fatigued.
- By only focusing on 1-2 muscle groups, it’s not as challenging on your metabolism.
- You can’t do as many powerful, “Olympic” lifts because you’re not focusing on full body.
- You fully recover before you work out again, but that also leaves you with a lot of wasted time between workouts
The Pros and Cons of Full Body Workouts
“Split training might create endurance for an individual muscle, but full body workouts are so much more impactful for sports.” – Rob Dionne
Pros of full body workouts:
- You stay fresh every time you do a full body workout, can give it 100%, and just move on to the next thing
- You should only do a full body workout 3 days a week so it’s great if you have limited amount of time and what to maximize your time.
- It’s great for injuries because there’s less stress on specific parts of the body and improves joint pain.
- You can focus on power-lifting moves and bodybuilding workouts.
- Full body workouts are better for sports
- It can be better at burning calories and promoting fat loss because of the metabolic challenge.
- They’re great for when you don’t have time to schedule in split days.
- It’s easy to incorporate super sets into full body workouts which will also help to save a lot of time.
- You’ll tend to be less sore because you’re not burning out your muscles as much as during split workouts.
“When you’re doing full body workouts over time, your soreness levels will significantly go down overtime.” – Rob Dionne
Cons of full body workouts:
- It might lead to over-training the body if you do full body workouts every other day.
- If you do have a weaker area or what to focus on a specific body part, you don’t have a lot of time to work out that problem area.
- It’s difficult to implement more complex exercises such as drop sets or compound movements due to short recovery time.
Rob’s Full Body M/W/F Split Workout
Thursday Night Live
Q & A Sessions with Rob and Devon
Each Thursday night at 7:15pm PST via the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group , Devon and I will be online to answer an questions you may have about health, wellness, fitness, nutrition, lifestyle etc. Ask us anything!
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic around finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at www.openskyfitness.com/review, ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
1:40 Recap on last week’s episode with Arriane Alexander: 10 Ways Why Fitness is Just Like Your Business
2:15 The difference between split workout routines and full body workout routines plus which one is better
3:00 Last chance to enter in our review contest to win a free book by June 22!
5:00 Reach out to Devon and I for 1-on-1 Coaching
6:00 What’s the difference between a full body workout and a split routine?
9:00 The pros of doing a split workout.
13:50 Cons of split training workouts
17:30 The pros to full body workouts
22:55 Cons to full body training
29:25 So, what’s better? Split or full body workouts?
30:00 Rob’s new personal challenge: Completing a full body workout 3 days a week
30:50 Rob’s Full Body MWF Split Workout
44:50 Closing comments with Rob and Devon
45:50 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Join the The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Check out OSF Ep. 152 – Arriane Alexander: 10 Ways Why Fitness is Just Like Your Business
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading Episode 153 – Full Body vs. Split Training: Pros and Cons – Ep. 153! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.