“Does your home environment remind you of being healthy and having the lifestyle that you truly want? OR is that existing somewhere else? Does it only exist away from home at the gym?” – BJ Gaddour
We talked about everything from his days at Men’s Health to the launch of The Daily BJ and how he stays true to his authentic self with his brand.
We had a great time and I hope you enjoy tuning into our conversation. Here are some specific topics that came up:
- How working out at home will give you the results and feeling of empowerment to live a healthy life.
- How the fitness world has betrayed us and let us down as far as motivation, investment (time and money), and our health.
- BJ’s experience as a personal gym trainer and how it led to where he is today with his career with online coaching.
- His online presence and how he likes to make his platform fun and inclusive for everyone looking to improve their health.
- How he’s been lucky to “fail forwards” in life and why timing is everything.
- How to create your own authentic brand by being true to yourself and your brand.
- BJ’s advice for people who want to break through the noise in a career in fitness.
About BJ Gaddour
BJ is a former fat guy turned cover model and the former fitness director for the Men’s Health brand. You can follow him everywhere on social media @BJGaddour and access all of his programmings at TheDailyBJ.com (#NotAPornSite). He lives with his wife and 2 boxers in Malibu, CA. And he loves fries.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
1:30 Check out last week’s show: OSF 226 – Pre & Post Workout Supplements, Reinjury Fears, CrossFit Training, Muscle Relief Aids
2:40 Join the conversation in our online Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
3:10 Halloween candy: Healthy alternatives such as the kids “cashing in” their treats for money with the parents.
5:30 About our guest this week, BJ Gaddour.
7:00 How he started focusing on his own health with his home gym aka Garden of Gainz.
7:50 How working out at home will give you the results and feeling of empowerment to live a healthy life.
9:00 How the fitness world has betrayed us and let us down as far as motivation, investment (time and money), and our health.
11:30 BJ’s experience as a personal gym trainer and how it led to where he is today with his career with online coaching.
17:30 Why it’s so hard to make money as an only fitness trainer and health coach.
19:00 What you have to do to make it online with Instagram posts and Tweets to promote your business.
20:00 His online presence and how he likes to make his platform fun and inclusive for everyone looking to improve their health.
22:30 Some of the out-of-this-world messages he receives from Instagram followers.
24:30 The crash and burn of his first online business, Stream Fit, and how he moved on from it.
27:40 How he’s been lucky to “fail forwards” in life and why timing is everything.
30:00 His career as an entrepreneur and what it means to him.
32:00 What it was like to work for Men’s Health.
40:00 The importance of companies and entrepreneurs putting out great content.
43:00 How he moved on from Men’s Health to begin his own brand.
47:00 Why he posts specific images to weed out the followers that are right and not right for his brand.
48:00 The power of being authentic and true to yourself through your brand.
55:00 How to create your own authentic brand by being true to yourself and your brand.
1:00:00 BJ’s advice for people who want to break through the noise in a career in fitness.
1:12:00 Final comments with Rob and Devon
1:12:00 Check out our Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
1:12:10 Contact Devon and I if you’re interested in one-on-one coaching with us.
1:13:10 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Learn more about the Sky Fit Challenge
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out last week’s episode: OSF 226 – Pre & Post Workout Supplements, Reinjury Fears, CrossFit Training, Muscle Relief Aids
- Connect with BJ Gaddour via:
- Check out his multiple website platforms:
- Tune into The Weekly BJ Podcast
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link.
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 227 – BJ Gaddour: Has The Fitness Industry Let Us Down? We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.