What does it take to become a great personal trainer?
Which characteristics should you look for in a personal trainer?
This week, Rob is speaking to the 2018 NSCA Personal Trainer of the Year, Celebrity Trainer, and Owner of PUSH Private Fitness, Chad Landers. Chad has been a personal trainer for over 25 years and is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) with the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) so it’s safe to say he really knows his stuff!
On This Episode:
- How his interest in training began from a young age and eventually led to a career.
- His different experiences working for various gyms as a personal trainer until he found something that worked for himself.
- How to be a great personal trainer by not being judgemental, showing compassion, and building relationships.
- What personal trainers can do to expand their online social media presence and whether or not it’s actually even worth it.
- The importance of knowing your unique market based on age, gender, and what they’re looking for to improve their health.
- His advice on what you should do or not do when planning a career change, move, or other big steps in your life.
About Chad Landers
Chad graduated from the of the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign with a Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology in 1991. He is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) with the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA). Most recently, Chad became the first (and at the time, only) American to graduate with a Diploma in Sports Nutrition with the International Olympic Committee (IOC). Chad has owned a personal training business in Los Angeles since 1993. In 2003, he opened Push Private Fitness, a 2400 sq.ft. personal training only gym. He currently competes in Masters Raw Powerlifting competitions.
Let Us Coach You On The Podcast!
Come on the podcast and let us be your coach for an hour on the show!
We talked about this a while back but we want you, the listener, to be a guest on our show by allowing us to be your personal coaches for a 1-hour call. Your call will be featured as an actual episode on our podcast but can always keep your identity hidden by changing your name because we know that our health is everything and some things we’d like to keep to ourselves.
Here’s how you sign up:
- Go to https://openskyfitness.com/contact/
- Fill out your name, email address, and message
- In your message, please include:
- Your goals
- What obstacles you believe are standing in your way
- Your expectations and how you think Devon and Rob can help you
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
1:30 Check out our previous guest interview:
OSF 243 Jill Miller: The Pros & Cons of Hypermobility
2:00 About our show today with Chad Landers
4:30 About this amazing catered food event we went to this past week that served high quality, non-processed foods.
8:30 Check out our latest One-On-One Coaching Call – OSF 244 Are Unrealistic Goals Controlling Your Life? and learn how to be a client on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast!
12:30 Introduction to Chad Landers
15:00 How his interest in training began from a young age and eventually led to a career.
20:00 His big move from Illinois to go work in Las Vegas as a personal trainer.
22:00 The various jobs he worked in Las Vegas and how that led him to work as a personal trainer in Sherman Oaks.
27:00 His different experiences working for various gyms as a personal trainer until he found something that worked for himself.
34:00 How meeting his wife and getting married impact his career in the fitness industry.
36:00 Why fame and fortune don’t matter; the main point is that you feel good about yourself.
38:00 How to be a great personal trainer by not being judgemental, showing compassion, and building relationships.
44:00 How working at a gym or belonging to a gym is like being in a community.
49:00 Why some personal trainers and gyms just blow up huge without any real training expertise.
50:00 Why it’s so easy for people to believe in online fitness trainers especially on Instagram when they know absolutely nothing about training.
53:30 What personal trainers can do to expand their online social media presence and whether or not that’s actually even worth it.
55:00 The importance of knowing your unique market based on age, gender, and what they’re looking for to improve their health.
1:00:00 His advice on what you should do or not do when planning a career change, move, or other big steps in your life.
1:02:00 The importance of staying out of debt and having a nest egg.
1:07:00 Why we’re in fear or a state of hesitation to take our lives to the next level.
1:14:00 Why you should start training people in person first before moving to work with them online.
1:22:00 How to connect with Chad Landers online.
1:26:00 Final comments with Rob and Devon
1:27:00 Tune into our next Coaching Call next week and learn how to be coached on the podcast!
1:28:00 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Learn more about the Sky Fit Challenge
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out our previous interview OSF 243 Jill Miller: The Pros & Cons of Hypermobility
- Listen to our latest One-On-One Coaching Call – OSF 244 Are Unrealistic Goals Controlling Your Life?
- Connect with Chad Landers via:
- PUSH Private Fitness
- Tune into OSF 151 – Improve Your Life With The Wheel Of Wellness
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link.
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 245 with Chad Landers – ! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.