What does it take to become a great personal trainer?
This week, I’m speaking to Personal Trainer at Mark Fisher Fitness (MFF), Geoff Hemingway, about his transition from actor to the world of fitness and memorable lessons learned as a trainer including the importance of creating good communication with gym members, meeting them where they’re at with their health intentions, and making sure they’re enjoying themselves at the gym.
I had a great conversation with Geoff learning all about his experiences and what makes Mark Fish Fitness unlike any other gym out there.
Can’t wait for you to listen to this episode! Especially if you’re a fellow personal trainer, there’s so much great advice packed in this episode.
In this episode, you will learn:
- How MFF is helping people discover their love for health and fitness in a welcoming atmosphere.
- How MFF makes sure their clients are well in the loop about their workout programs and that they’re happy with their experience.
- Why it’s totally okay if you’re not a match with your client.
- A “park bench workout” vs. a “bus bench workout” for fitness goals explained.
- How the trainers at MFF are constantly trying to improve themselves by learning how to be better communicators.
- How to handle criticism from your client, situations, and conflict as a personal trainer.
- The MFF gym’s favorite methods for helping clients towards eating healthier foods.
Snatched In Six Weeks
Serious about changing your body and making your fitness dreams a reality? Our six-week Snatched intensives are designed to jump-start your health and hotness. You’ll sign up for three classes per week for six weeks, and you’ll follow our comprehensive science-backed protocol to get you in the very best shape of your life.
Snatched programs are open to both MFF Members and non-Members, although Ninjas with active memberships have access to early registration.
To find out more about Snatched in Six Weeks, Snatched II and Snatched: Project X, visit the official website.
Mark Fisher Fitness – Serious Fitness for Ridiculous Humans
About Mark Fisher Fitness
That’s why MFF is about making fitness as enjoyable as possible. Because our trainers are a bunch of super-nerds, we know how to get results quickly and safely.
We work with all kinds of people looking to get “healthy and hot” (including many who’ve never belonged to a gym). We’re all about getting you results AND we’re committed to being a fitness home that you actually love.
Yep. We don’t love gyms either. That’s why we created an Enchanted Ninja Clubhouse of Glory and Dreams. Why be a gym member, when you can be a Ninja?
Let Us Coach You On The Podcast!
Come on the podcast and let us be your coach for an hour on the show!
We talked about this a while back but we want you, the listener, to be a guest on our show by allowing us to be your personal coaches for a 1-hour call. Your call will be featured as an actual episode on our podcast but can always keep your identity hidden by changing your name because we know that our health is everything and some things we’d like to keep to ourselves.
Here’s how you sign up:
- Go to http://openskyfitness.com/contact/
- Fill out your name, email address, and message
- In your message, please include:
- Your goals
- What obstacles you believe are standing in your way
- Your expectations and how you think Devon and Rob can help you
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
1:30 About our guest today, Geoff Hemingway of Mark Fisher Fitness
6:00 Let us know if you want to do a Coaching Call episode with us!
10:00 Introduction to Geoff Hemingway
12:00 His introduction to the world of health and wellness when his main background was performing arts.
18:00 What he loved about being a client/”ninja” at Mark Fisher Fitness and how they treated everyone.
19:00 How he came to be a Ninja Trainer himself at Mark Fisher Fitness.
24:30 What the Mark Fisher Fitness brand is all about and what the owner, Mark Fisher, himself is like.
28:00 How they’re helping people discover their love for health and fitness in a welcoming atmosphere.
31:40 The various classes and equipment that they offer at MFF.
37:00 The biggest lessons and takeaways he’s learned over the years and how he’s implementing that at MFF.
39:00 How they make it a priority to make sure people are well in the loop about their workout program and if clients are happy.
40:30 A typical progressive program that he might do for himself or create for a client.
42:00 His personal fitness goals for himself that he wants to hit in the future.
44:00 What he has clients do when their main goal is just to show up and do something.
44:40 A “park bench workout” vs. a “bus bench workout.”
48:00 The lesson he learned that not everyone who comes to a trainer’s gym will stay forever and that’s okay.
49:40 How the trainers at MFF are constantly trying to improve themselves as trainers by learning how to be better communicators.
52:20 The importance of focusing on the intention rather than the goal itself.
53:00 The importance of creating a connection with your client.
59:00 The additional exercises in listening, communicating, validating and more that the trainers at MFF do to improve their relationships with clients.
1:01:00 How to handle criticism from your client, situations, and conflict as a trainer.
1:05:00 The MFF’s favorite methods for helping clients towards eating healthier foods.
1:10:30 Various diets Rob has tried from Paleo to Intermittent Fasting
1:14:00 Final comments with Rob and Devon.
1:16:00 Let us know if you want to do a Coaching Call episode with us!
1:16:50 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Learn more about the Sky Fit Challenge
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out our previous interview: Discover Your Value & Confidence with Ingrid Marcum – Ep. 250
- Connect with Geoff Hemingway via:
- Learn more about Mark Fisher Fitness via:
- Tune into our interviews with Dan John:
- Find out more about MFF’s Snatched Programs
- Keep track of your health and nutrition via My FitnessPal
- Learn more about the Precision Nutrition program
- Attend a future Perform Better Summit
- Read the books mentioned on the show:
- Discover how to build better habits via:
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at firstname.lastname@example.org or Devon at email@example.com or you can also leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 251 with Geoff Hemingway – Lessons Every Personal Trainer Should Learn! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.