On this week’s episode, we have a ton of great information to share with you about exercise, nutrition, and how to plan your weekly schedule. Who better to explain it all than Dr. Mike T Nelson himself!?
Strength and conditioning specialist, university instructor, and owner of Extreme Human Performance, Dr. Nelson, joins us to discuss:
- His general weekly plan that he provides for new clients.
- The major lifts you should learn for overall strength and adjustments you can do over time.
- How often you should actually switch up your weekly workout.
- How much time you should actually be spending at the gym.
- Metabolic Flexibility vs. Inflexibility – What it is and how our bodies adjust and adapt to using what we eat as fuel.
- How to create a plan that works for your schedule, fitness goals, and nutrition focus.
- How lack of sleep can intensely, negatively affect our glucose levels.
- The Ketogenic Diet – Is there a danger for people who stay on it for long periods of time? What about for children?
Customize Your Workout For Max Results
For each client, Dr. Nelson takes the following into account when custom designing programs:
- Body structure
- Specific Goals
- Time Availablity
- Access to Equipment
Perfect Pullup and Chin Up
About Dr. Mike T. Nelson
Dr. Mike T Nelson, BA, MS, PhD, is a university instructor and owner of Extreme Human Performance, LLC. He’s been called in to share his techniques with top government agencies. The techniques he’s developed and the results Mike gets for his clients have been featured in international magazines, in scientific publications, and on websites across the globe.
Dr. Mike T. Nelson has spent 18 years of his life learning how the human body works, specifically focusing on how to properly condition it to burn fat and become stronger, more flexible, and healthier. He’s has a Ph.D. in Exercise Physiology, a BA in Natural Science, and an MS in Biomechanics. He’s an adjunct professor and a member of the American College of Sports Medicine.
He’s been called in to share his techniques with top government agencies. The techniques he’s developed and the results Mike gets for his clients have been featured in international magazines, in scientific publications, and on websites across the globe.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob
2:30 Check out last week’s show: OSF 210 – Machines Vs. Free Weights, HIIT, And Functional Movement
3:00 Join the conversation in our Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
3:50 First week results from our Sky Fit Challenge!
4:10 Check out our 7 Day Paleo Reset that you can do anytime!
5:30 Introduction to Dr. Mike T Nelson
6:10 How he began his path on fitness, nutrition, and health plus what drives him.
12:00 His approach to helping people who feel like they’ve back-peddled in their fitness abilities.
15:00 What progress he’s seen with his clients as far as short-term and long-term results when learning new skills, forgetting bad habits, and trying something new.
18:00 How he custom designs his programs for different people and the factors he takes into account.
21:30 A general weekly plan that he follows with clients when starting to work with them.
24:00 Different, slight adjustments to a movement that you can do to switch things up and trying something new.
25:30 The major lifts you should learn for overall strength and adjustments you can do over time.
28:00 Why we feel stronger using machines compared to when we switch to free weights.
30:00 How to go into a transition from one program to another.
31:00 Why you should change your workout program much, much less than you might think to be true.
33:30 What a cluster set is when you’re weightlifting.
33:55 How much time should you actually be spending at the gym?
39:30 Are we truly too busy to workout or are we just getting in our own way?
41:00 How to work through your own struggles for time to regularly workout.
43:00 Metabolic Flexibility vs. Inflexibility – What it is and how our bodies adjust and adapt to using what we eat as fuel.
44:30 The best nutrition for what you what to focus on with your fitness goals.
46:50 Should you consider becoming fat-adapted when training for long-distance cardio?
51:00 The negative effects of being Metabolic Inflexible.
53:40 What should someone who’s diabetic do when facing metabolic inflexibility as far as nutrition and exercise?
56:00 The results of diabetics taking glucose after a hard workout.
57:30 How lack of sleep can intensely, negatively affect our glucose levels.
59:50 Ketogenic diet – Is there a danger for people who stay on it for long periods of time? What about for children?
1:09:40 Final comments with Rob
1:10:00 Clean up your diet with our7 Day Paleo Reset
1:11:40 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Sign up for our Sky Fit Challenge!
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor – ButcherBox
- Check out last week’s episode: OSF 210 – Machines Vs. Free Weights, HIIT, And Functional Movement
- Listen to Justin Schenck from the Growth Now Movement podcast talk about his 7 Day Paleo Reset experience in the TBT – Barefoot vs Arch Support Shoes: Which Is Better? episode
- Dr. Mike T Nelson
- Impact of sleep and sleep loss on glucose homeostasis and appetite regulation
- The Charlie Foundation
- You might be interested in these other Open Sky Fitness Podcast episodes:
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
Our 8 Week Sky Fit Challenge has begun but you can still sign up for the next round or learn more about it!
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That’s why we’re allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It’s all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We’ll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we’ve done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won’t just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there’s so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we’ll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor – ButcherBox
That’s right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That’s right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, “lifting,” to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at email@example.com or Devon at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can also leave us a review at www.openskyfitness.com/review, ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link.
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: email@example.com
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 211 with Dr. Mike T. Nelson! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.